Interview with Linda Huber of ~Imaginee on Deviant Art

>> Friday, October 16


"No Idea" by Linda Huber

If I were to tell you that the above picture is a graphite pencil drawing and not a photograph, your jaw will probably drop as low as mine did. It dropped, didn't? C'mon, I know--admit it. :)

Linda Huber, the artist (aka ~imaginee)

I have been following Linda Huber on DA for over a year now. This week I had the honor of interviewing her to find out a little more about the amazing woman behind these drawings.

"No Idea" has always been one of my favorites on DA. The technical skill, the abstract and beautifully balanced composition, and the joy and patience (35 hours! whoa!) put into this piece is breath-taking.

"The meaning behind ‘No Idea’ is simple," Linda said. "Since the bulb is broken, to me it represents 'no idea' as opposed to a working bulb." 

Linda chose to draw this light-bulb to give herself a challenge. "I wanted to expand my horizons and draw as realistic as my pencils would allow," she said. "Drawing glass and metal was a challenge and one that I knew I would grow from. It was a heck of a lot of fun too!" She said the hardest thing about this piece was "trying to keep a very light, even touch" on the bulb "so that it would have that translucent look." From the shine on the glass to the incredible detail of the bulb's inner workings, this is truly a masterpiece.

The 16 x 20 original is sold, but you can still purchase prints of the drawing on her website for $28.


"From This Day Forward"

"I have loved to draw from the very first memories of my life," Linda said. Her four siblings do not draw; it was her dad, who does draw, that encouraged her and gave her a love of the art.



Linda loves commissions and prefers to work from detailed photographs with good contrast.

"First thoughts [when I get a commission] are I hope it's a good one," she said, "meaning great references and interesting subject. Second thoughts are I can't wait to start. I love to work and love to draw so it's always great to get a commission."

Often she will work from several photographs and the person or object itself so that she can get to know her subject really well and find details that might not have been apparent at first glance.


"Bello"

For Linda, the details are everything. “I work about an inch an hour on detailed areas,” she said.

"For realism, you should never skip over any individual details," she advised, "details such as that perfect balance of light and shadow to define the shape of one's face, unique flickers of light in each eye, hair texture (including eyelashes and eyebrows) and even pores in the skin."

Patience is key. Linda's drawings take anywhere from twenty to eighty hours each to complete, but to her, the effort is worth it. "Details make the piece come alive,” she said.


"Vulnerable" by Linda Huber

Her favorite place to sit while drawing is the sofa in front of the tv. But, she says, "I'm very focused when drawing so it really doesn't mater where I draw as long as it's a comfortable seat."


"D r i n k"

Sometimes she uses a mirror or even turns a reference photo upside down to get a different perspective.

"I don't know where I came up with using a mirror," she said, "I'm sure it was something I heard from another [artist]. Turning the reference and drawing upside down was something I started to do many years ago to check my work for mistakes--I could see them much faster that way. I soon realized I could also see the shapes I needed to render much easier so I started to draw in this fashion and still do .. this technique forces me to focus more intently on [the] details. It's so relaxing and so natural for me to draw in such a blind state."


"Liv Tyler"

But sometimes, even between many reference photos she does not have all the details she needs. So she goes searching for other photos of similar items (hair on a man's arm, for example). She also draws upon her memories from over forty years of drawing experience.


"Droplet"

"Inspiration comes from everywhere and everything," she added. "I look at life around me and want to draw too many things to name."

 
"The President and Chertoff"

Linda has been on DeviantArt.com for over six years now and she loves it. "Each day is like visiting a fantastic art gallery," she said. "I have gained much inspiration from many of the artists at DA!" She especially appreciates the rich diversity of art on the site and also the easy upload system. One of Linda's favorite artists is Armin Mersmann. "He is the best artist I know of," she said, "and a huge inspiration!"


"Relaxing"

In addition to the graphite drawings Linda has also dabbled in photography and painting. She loves photography and has "been photographing everything around me for most of my life." Painting, however, "was never a great love." Drawing has and always will be her greatest passion. "From time to time I think about doing a painting," she added, "and who knows, I just may."


"Long-Guylan Sound"


Linda doesn't spend ALL her time drawing, though. She writes poetry. She loves to travel in the family's RV with her husband, and their beautiful property is a sanctuary for them both.


John and Linda in their RV

Linda's beautiful home and pond in upstate NY



"Sweet Morning Mist"
 

I walk upon scented
grass drenched in dew
behind me a trail
of shadow steps lay...

A distant sound of
morning dove sings on
while barn swallows
swoop and quietly play...

Above the reflecting
tranquil water
dawn's coolness turns
the air a placid gray...

As soft misty vapors
silently rise to greet
the new breath of this
sweet spring day.

~poem by Linda Huber (2002)


"One of my favorite places to be is in my yard on a warm summer day," she said. "When [my sons] were little they would swim in the pond. It's a half acre wide and 14 feet deep in the center and it's kinda like having a large pool!" The pond is filled with fish; bass have replaced trout over the years, which her younger son, Shawn, used to catch for dinner.

"Our pond has many leaves dancing around the edges of the water," she said. "It's such a pretty time of year ... it's a very inspirational place to live."

 
"The Wedding Day"

Linda is currently working on a series of drawings entitled "Body Language". (Her newest drawing, of an eye, will be posted to DA today, so look for it!) She hopes one day to be in an art show and to teach art lessons from her home. Her art is her passion and she loves spending hours and hours on any particular drawing. Why?

"It's a strong feeling of enjoyment," she said, "of looking forward to seeing the results of your life-long passion. It's there with each piece and it's what drives me always."


~with many, many thanks to Linda for sharing with us her heart and time.

11 comments. Leave a comment.:

Anonymous,  Oct 16, 2009, 5:09:00 PM  

Hi Stevensons, Really amazing work, my favorite is "Bello" (the rose),a gifted artist for sure, and not one starving either, apparently. Glad that "realism" isnt so passe anymore. Hope you guys are making it, a little cash-strapped here or i wouldve pledged by now. Keep your enthusiasm for art/culture subservient to Christ and I'm sure you will prosper. Mac.

Nicole Roy Oct 17, 2009, 2:24:00 AM  

What a lovely interview! This was so inspiring...
I just love Linda with all my heart((HUG)) She is the sweetest, most beautiful woman...and I'm happy to call her my friend :)
Take Care
Nicole

Anonymous,  Oct 17, 2009, 10:12:00 AM  

I am overwhelmed with joy. I recently decided to start back drawing, and I have always had a Love for traditional art. My first peice was done in Kindergarten and it was chosen to be in a book with other artists from K-12. I have only recently (like yesterday) came across Imaginee's work or I should say "passion," and it has inspired me and gave me hope to continue on this onward journey of drawing. She is my mentor, my guide, on so many levels. Realism has always fascinated me in drawing, and I have always wanted my artwork to show it. I have many more years and many more challenges ahead..but because of you (Linda (aka Imaginee), I know it is possible. I am so overwhelmed with feeling and incrediblely deep admiration and appreciation.

Sincerely,
Tiffany Forte

Cassandra Grable Oct 17, 2009, 10:39:00 AM  

I simply adore Linda Huber. she is an amazing artist and ever since i came across her on DeviantART I am been more attenative to details in my art and her tips have greatly helped me.

Anonymous,  Oct 19, 2009, 12:17:00 AM  

Linda Huber has helped me to understand my true potential. I have been drawing since I was a small boy and with the encouragement of my family, friends and art teachers I have grown as an artist. I've always been facinated with drawing and had no idea it could be brought to the level that Linda has taken it to. I have yet to find anyone with her skill level that is also willing to take the time to put together tutorials to assist other artists. She is a true inspiration.

Sincerely,
Shaun Childers

Laura Oct 19, 2009, 10:31:00 PM  

Emily,

This is a fantastic interview of a truely wonderful and humble artist.

Linda,
You know I love your work and I can't wait to see what you do next...whatever it is I know there will be something to learn from it and it will be incredible. I'm so proud of you my friend!

Anonymous,  Nov 4, 2009, 11:45:00 PM  

Respect Lindas work and detail,but from an artistic angle its lacking the deeper aspect, the world as you percieve is not as it seems, dimention is key to reality. An emotion or to capture reality is realy an artists work,to ponder worldly detail is missing the point altogether. best wishes. Mal

Emily Elizabeth Stevenson Nov 5, 2009, 9:23:00 AM  

Thank you for all the sweet comments, folks. :)

Mal, I understand where you are coming from, and I sometimes forget to put heart as well as skill into my work. However I feel with Linda's work that her subjects speak for themselves (look especially at the smiling bride, the sweet little baby). And even in the more technical drawings, such as the light bulb, there is thought and emotion behind it--haven't we all been at a place of "no idea?"

Peace,
Emily

Anonymous,  Mar 31, 2010, 1:18:00 PM  

Linda your attention to detail is almost heartbreaking. I do admire your tech and concentration, but have you ever wanted to make a radical statement in your endevours? a talent such as yours is really wasted on photo realistic work. have you ever been to the national gallery? and seen vincents work? its not realistic in a photo way, but has a deeper sense of human life. sorry if i seem to be like a critic. no offence meant.

Unknown Sep 12, 2010, 7:03:00 AM  

why do people not consider u a proper artist if u dont work wit colour and paint, i'v been drawing in pencil since i could hold one,wen i look at art i feel flat when observing colour but i get a primal excitment upon seeing realistic pencil work. sick of arseholes who couldnt draw a line commenting bout the ability of pencil artists, we dont get the acclaim we deserve. good luck wit ur future drawings ur a genius wit a pencil, love ur work it's an inspiration to me

james,  May 18, 2011, 3:15:00 AM  

Art is life...life is art. It's with great wisdom that i came to realise that matters of the heart are very delicate,just like an artist with his/her work. I love what you are doing to people's lives;art with a difference. May God bless you.

Post a Comment

Please leave us a note! All comments are moderated so please give us a little while to review your comment before it shows up on the post.

Peace,

Emily & Caleb

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP