"Green" vs. "Simple" Living and the Zen Habits blog

>> Thursday, November 19

The "green" photos in this post were gleaned from my favorites on DeviantArt.com

I can't say I've really jumped on the "green" wagon. Don't get me wrong, I agree with the core ideal of the movement: treat the earth with respect. Nature is beautiful and we are to take care of it to the best of our ability. Yes, we should recycle, reuse and reduce, and I do. But isn't the issue deeper than that?


Leo Babauta of the Zen Habits Blog

Enter the Zen Habits blog, written by Leo Babauta, professional writer and father of six. Leo argues that protecting the earth goes deeper than mere "green habits." It's the simple life that truly brings health and happiness to us and our world. Recycling is good, but it won't soothe your soul unless it is part of a simplified life. Leo's posts are truly inspiring and informative, and I'd like to especially point out three recent articles he has written.



The Beginner’s Guide To Minimalist Travel is filled with not-so-common common-sense and unusual recommendations. Ever heard of Dr. Bronner's soaps? They are multi-purpose organic soaps that one can use to wash one's hair, face, dishes, even clothing! (Just dump your laundry in a LOKSAK bag, add a few drops of Dr. Bronner's soap, knead for 15 minutes, and behold, your laundry is clean!)

CLICK HERE for the rest of the post




Another great read is Leo's post on The Only Way to Become Amazingly Great at Something. The post opens with this quote from Albert Einstein:

“Only one who devotes himself to a causewith his whole strength and soulcan be a true master. For this reason mastery demands all of a person.”

Leo goes on to argue that it takes a good 10,000 hours of work to truly master something and that this daunting figure is well worth the effort. (According to my own calculations, that's two hours per day, no holidays, for about 13.5 years!)



After you've read those two posts, I would recommended this post to start out: The Beginner’s Guide to Zen Habits – A Guided Tour. Some excellent reading, and the best thing is that this blog only updates twice a week, so it's easy to keep up with him. :)



Though I sometimes find the articles to be a re-hash of the obvious/cliche (e.g. 50 Ways to Be Romantic on the Cheap),  most of them are refreshing and inspiring. The slower pace of his posting makes it easy to digest and think about the most recent post by the time the next one has come along.

His posts have really got me thinking about the way I conduct my own life. I've been musing, so stay tuned for a new post series on My Dream House, as well as a new Christmas-on-a-severe-budget series "Christmas For A Song."



Also, if you like Leo's style, check out his other blogs at Mnmlist.com (on the art of minimalizing), Write To Done (on the art of writing) and his newest blog, Zen Family Habits (specific simplifying advice for families).

Do you follow any excellent blogs you just HAVE to recommend? Leave a link for me in the comments--I'd love to check them out!

Happy reading. :)

0 comments. Leave a comment.:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a note! All comments are moderated so please give us a little while to review your comment before it shows up on the post.

Peace,

Emily & Caleb

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP