WIP: Another Tiny Pond painting

>> Friday, April 9

Work In Progress: watercolor, 1.5"x1.5"

The ridiculously nice weather (88F in April?!) has brought the whole county out of hibernation and into the pond store. The weeping cherry trees, daffodils, crocuses and water plants are all blossoming and growing, the fish are coming out of their underground tunnels and splashing at the surface of the ponds, and the fountains and waterfalls are flowing.


So with all this inspiration dumped in my lap I decided to take up my Tiny Pond series again. Last night I cut twenty-four new 1.5"x1.5" pieces of watercolor paper to aid this creative explosion. There are 95 reference photos on my computer for this project , so watch out world! :)


This painting is definitely not finished yet. The values are all wrong--I need to lighten areas and very much darken others--and the textures are not where I want them, e.g. the lily pads don't looks wet. I'll post more pictures when I've made some significant progress.


Reference photo I took in one of the greenhouses last year:

2 comments. Leave a comment.:

Fairy Cardmaker, Lisa Apr 10, 2010, 9:28:00 PM  

That's a very good replica! I love the look of watercolours - the blending possiblities always amaze me, and your piece is no exception! 1.5" square? Wow! Hats off to you.

Emily Elizabeth Stevenson Apr 11, 2010, 1:45:00 PM  

Why thank you, Lisa! I love working small--it used to drive my art teacher crazy, actually, because she never got me to go bigger than 16"x20". Well not really crazy--she was more just amused at my obsession with the petite. :)

Post a Comment

Please leave us a note! All comments are moderated so please give us a little while to review your comment before it shows up on the post.

Peace,

Emily & Caleb

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP