The Rubber Band Skirt Project

>> Saturday, February 20

 

Many years ago I worked at Borders as the Paperchase Manager. My inventory was shipped to me using an unnatural amount of rubber bands; by the end of each day my lower right arm was surrounded by over 100 of them! No one wanted them, so instead of tossing them I decided to make an entire outfit out of office supplies. First up was a rubber band skirt.


Half a decade later, I've gotten as far as the above pictures, which believe it or not represent a ridiculous amount of work: First I knot twelve rubber bands together, repeating twice. Then I knot these three strands together at the top and braid them.


Now I had a rope. I string twenty rubber bands evenly spaced onto a thick ribbon, and then begin weaving the loose bands into the rope. Repeat ad nauseum and you reach the point I'm at--18"x8" of uneven rubberbandedness.

So, the other day I decided to redo this project as well. I unwove everything so that I just had a bunch of braided strands. Then I braided three of the strands, three more, and three more, then braided those three into one big strand!

Then I did it again.




Now it's much more even and pretty, but it added a lot of unforeseen bulk. Not sure what to do about that since my goal was to keep braiding braids until I got one huge braid. Maybe I will have to weave a few together to keep the bulk down.

What I have left ... hmm, need to hunt for some more

Then when I'm done with that, paperclip jewelry. I was thinking a sticky-note top, but not sure how I am going to pull that off just yet. I have experience with sewing paper, but not as clothing.

And then shoes. And purse, maybe. Hmmm, duct tape ... is duct tape considered an office supply? :)

4 comments. Leave a comment.:

Lizzy Mar 29, 2010, 12:54:00 AM  

Emily, I really love this! I've noticed that your craft work is incredibly strong, and I really think you should pursue it or somehow integrate it into your painting. I think it would definitely benefit your work.

Emily Elizabeth Stevenson Mar 29, 2010, 9:38:00 AM  

Hey, Lizzy!
Yeah, I've been considering that because I love all kinds of art...for now since I'm so new at this "online business" thing I'm just concentrating on the "flat" stuff until I get used to the process. My goal is to eventually put ALL my artistic endeavors up online. :)
Emily

Lizzy Apr 20, 2010, 10:48:00 PM  

Yeah, I totally hear you. Actually, I think you might also want to try selling your art physically, too. You'd be surprised how many coffee shops and restaurants really want and need artwork, and how many galleries may be catering to your way of working. I don't know if this is true for other states, but Virginia businesses are supposed to put aside a certain amount of money for artwork depending on their start-up costs, so think about that, too.

Emily Elizabeth Stevenson Apr 21, 2010, 11:16:00 AM  

OK I'm sure this is the lamest excuse in the book, but selling my art in person is SCARY. I'm shy and mostly spineless when attempting to "self-promote."

I've not heard of that Virginia law before. I wonder if it really helps promote art, you know?

Post a Comment

Please leave us a note! All comments are moderated so please give us a little while to review your comment before it shows up on the post.

Peace,

Emily & Caleb

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP